Tuesday, December 15, 2009

.: Affection:.



As humans we are all different.
We speak differently. We think differently. We act differently.
But we are all unified in the fact that we all need love.

Love of God. Love of others. & Love of ones self.

I remember learning in my Psychology 1010 class at Snow College that affection is one of the most fundamental needs that has to be met in order to be able to function.

See Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

It's the third most important need!


So what does affection mean to you?

That's a question that I have had to ask myself over and over as I have come into new relationships. I am always curious to know what holding hands means to others. Or what a kiss might mean to the one that I am falling for. It's a source of great anxiety for me, wondering if it means that same thing to him.

There is almost nothing worse than expressing that affection towards someone that you care about and not knowing what they think or feel. Or finding out later that what you expressed meant something completely different to them than it did to you.

There can be so much hurt that comes from not knowing. So I just wanted to express what affection means to me...

A hug means...
I care about you.

Holding hands means...
I feel safe with you.
I could be falling for you.


A kiss means...
Cheek= I respect you.
Forehead= I adore you.
Lips= I love you.
Neck= I want you.


Cuddling means...
I want to be near you.




**Just a side note...

Sadly, I haven't always felt this way about what affection means to me. I had very, very obscured views on affection and how to show affection when I was younger. And that has let to much heart ache and regret. But that doesn't change how I feel now.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

well said my friend.